Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Swim at Surfrider in Oceanside, CA

     I am happy presently.  After getting out in the water several times a week to two weeks ago, I fell back into laziness.  Today I signed up with the Carlsbad Swim Group at Tamarack Beach on Meetup.com and I went to the beach today to check myself out.

     I'm suited to late afternoon swimming more than other times.  Today the water was warm; I'd guess 72 degrees.  It was on the cusp of being too warm to be refreshing.  But one could have worse problems, eh?

     A strong rip current south to north along with a rough lineup of waves kept me from getting through the last big wave to get past the breakers.  I was in the water for an hour.  I loosened up swimming straight out past the second wave; then I swam relaxed back in to standing depth.  After a few reps of that I made a solid attempt to swim out and failed.  That big wave was five foot and was breaking straight on, dumping five feet of sudsy water on top of you. 

     I was pulled north a hundred yards in the attempt, so I got out and walked back to my starting point.  I gave it a second attempt to get past but I could not find a lull in the wave interval to sneak through.  The interval was about 10-12 seconds. 

     I walked back to my starting point and wavered between a third attempt and enough for the day.  Enough for the day won.  I felt very comfortable in the water today and all my body parts were working without pain.  We had partially cloudy skies, light blue foamy and sudsy water, lots of water movement from the high water line to the end of the surf zone, and no crowds.  I was very lucky to have gotten wet today and I'm just so relaxed after a good, vigorous swim.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment