Thursday, March 10, 2011

Camp Pendleton Beach Swim

So, after taking two days off due to dirty water, I went to check out the water quality at the Del Mar 21 Area Beach on Camp Pendleton. The water was much, much cleaner than just a half-mile south in the city of Oceanside. This is because there is a very long rock jetty that extends out from the southern boundary of Pendleton, blocking the dirty water flow north to a great extent.
The current generally runs north to south in Oceanside. The water was cold, maybe 56, and I swam a bit just back and forth about 150 yards from the beach. A few kids with families played knee-deep in the water. No surfers seen. The tide was low but still there were waves to a solid three-feet high crashing hard in the surf zone. This beach is tricky. While it may look very calm, a powerful 2-3 foot wave can hurt you here. One hit me yesterday when I wasn't paying attention and it actually hurt my head, neck, back area.
So, my swim was probably only 600 yards total but it felt good to get back in. No fins. No webbed gloves.
I sure do swim slowly! Damn! Need to be about 50 pounds lighter, with bigger hands and feet.
No pictures today.

No comments:

Post a Comment