Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day at Oceanside Pier


















The beach was just a mess today. The water was very stirred up and not too clean; kelp broken loose and drifting in chunks and small pieces. Lots of people on the sand. By the way, my last picture, taken from the pier, shocked me afterward. Where did our sand go? Years back, there was lots of sand on the Oceanside beach and the sand area was much, much bigger for beachgoers. Seeing this picture really struck me. The water temp was listed as 65! Wow! Must be a record high temp for the year. The water was rough, still a south current, but not as strong or as rough as yesterday. I started to swim out but the waves and water was such a choppy, rough mess that I got turned off and was wavering between swimming and not. I tried to body surf a few waves. I was swimming out, diving under rough waves as usual, when I almost knocked myself out. The water was a good three feet deep and I dove without much force under an incoming wave and got knocked silly. Did I hit my head on the bottom? Did I hit my head on a big rock? Not sure. The force knocked my teeth together, jarred the titanium bar in my cervical spine, gave me a headache, made me dizzy, and knocked me for a loop. I got out, feeling about an inch shorter. Maybe it's time to take a few days off from the beach and wait for smooth water.

No comments:

Post a Comment