Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend Sunday ROUGH WATER Swim











Sunday afternoon was interesting. I went to swim and the water was very, very rough, with a ruthless current running south. Red flags were posted to limit swim areas and yellow checkered warning flags were posted at other areas. The breakers were one on top of the other and hardly anybody ventured into the water. I jogged up and down the area studying the water movements before getting in. I decided to go in about two hundred yards north of the pier, to allow for time to swim out before the strong current pulled me into the pier pilings.
I had an old pair of fake Duck Feet fins that are a bit too large for me. Mistake. I chose to wear these fins because my Churchills are about to break any day. I thought that since it was so rough the Churchills might break. One strap is so cracked and deteriorated that it will break soon. Also, both fins have deep cracks in the blades such that the blades may snap off under pressure. Well, I should have worn my Churchills.
I could not get out past the breakers. I was pulled south so fast that I had to give up on kicking out past the big waves before I hit the pier. Very disappointing.
At least the lifeguards left me alone. No unnecessary rescues or loudspeaker orders. I was thankful to them for that. Once I approached the pier about fifty yards away, I abruptly turned toward the beach and came in. The power of that water never ceases to surprise me. But, it was a worthwhile attempt nonetheless. Monday is another day with possibly another swim. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment