Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Learning to Swim in the Ocean, Oceanside Pier










Our weather today was warm and humid compared to the usual "just about perfect" weather. The beach was 78 degrees air temp with mild to moderate humidity. So, I was looking forward to a crisp, refreshing swim in the ocean and the ocean was TOO WARM again. What the heck...
This just doesn't happen here. I guessed the water current direction correctly today after observing the motion of flags in the mild breeze, people in the water standing up and backing up in the same direction to maintain their positions, the surface of the water, and the breaking of the waves.
I just wore the Churchill Slasher fins today-no webbed gloves, no swim cap. Now, after all of the swimming that I have done, one would think that I might be improving. I don't know. It seems that the more I swim the mystery of swimming efficiently and properly confronts me. The chop of the water today-about a good foot or more-hurt the swimming exercise today. However, it's more than that. Today my body position was not flat on the surface-the legs and feet wanted to sink below the surface. The arms didn't cooperate. Should I extend my reach farther in front or not over-reach? Why does the old "S" pull of the arms always want to return automatically to haunt me? Should I rotate my hips more or less when I kick? Etcetera, etcetera...
When the chop is up, I need to time my breaths with the rise of the water and throw in a strong, timed kick to get my head up high enough as I rotate my head to the side to inhale air, not water. There's a bit of body-surfing the wave there when swimming in the ocean. Each day is a learning experience-or stagnation-or trying something different. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment