Saturday, August 27, 2011

Flat, Calm Water at Oceanside Pier Friday Evening Shark Sighting

Small waves Friday-one to three feet-not powerful.  Warm water-about 67.  Lousy visibility. No chop!  That's so nice when the water is flat-makes you feel like you know how to swim and you're actually moving forward.  I went north to south and there was no current-maybe a slight north to south movement out past the pier-like yesterday.
No boats or speeding jet skiers to fret about.  I was having a peaceful, solo swim and when I turned to start in past the pier I saw two young guys swimming around the pier in the opposite direction.  I was out past them and hollered to one guy who was obviously comfortable in the water.  His buddy behind him was beating the water to death and making slow progress.
The lead guy appeared to be side-stroking and watching his buddy intently, who was freestyling behind him.  They were too close to the pier pilings.  My take on it was that the lead guy was helping his buddy do the swim with support and the comfort that one feels when being with a swim buddy.  The other swimmer didn't even see me, even when the lead guy and I both said "Hi" back and forth. 
My swim in was nice.  I take a very wide path around the pier to stay away from the pier itself and surfers near it. 
There was one interesting aspect to Friday's swim, though.  On Thursday there was a great white shark sighting south of us at Mission Beach.  That thought, of course, flittered in and out of my consciousness off and on throughout the swim; but the pure, relaxing comfort of the water helped to brush the concern away.  Even so, it was good to have the swim completed uneventfully.  A really nice swim!  34 minutes.  I hooked myself up to my TENS unit afterward and blasted the neck pain for hours.  It's worth it though!

Shark-sighting-closes-mission-beach-in-san-diego










No comments:

Post a Comment