Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Streak is Alive and Well




















Saturday 1 PM.  I had to get my second swim in for the week to keep my streak going.  My goal is two swims per week minimum with trunks only-swim cap ok, goggles ok, fins ok.
The thing is-the water isn't miserable cold yet.  I'm expecting more suffering-of course, there's a bit of cold discomfort ongoing-but 58 degrees or so is a lot different than 55 degrees.  I'm waiting for the 55 degree water for it to get interesting.
I watched the water for a while before getting in and I was of the opinion that I'd be safe without fins; however, I had a bit of doubt so I wore the fins because the current was running hard from south to north.  Once I got in, I found that I definitely required the fins.  The current was strong-and I had chosen to swim against the current just to be a hardhead.
I'm always surprised anew when the water is rougher than what it appears to be from the beach.  This water was more than a few foot chop-it was 2 to 4 foot chopped up swells one on top of the next.  I tried swimming out freestyle for 4 minutes but it was too rough.  I lay on my back and backstroked with the fins on until I got to the end of the pier.  Then I had to kick hard to move southward against the current for ten minutes.  Once past the pier with a safety margin for the current, I swam freestyle in to the sand-a roller coaster ride with the waves but fun because I was going in with the waves. 
A 31 minute swim.  Fun.  Decent workout.  The second swim for the week.  Tomorrow (Sunday) is my first day of next week;  I'll probably be out.  I forgot to say that the water was still dirty from the recent rains.
I saw this article from the North County Times Saturday, Feb. 18th:
Freezin' For A Reason Article North County Times
"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment