Sunday, March 11, 2012

Oceanside Downtown Revival









I drove down through Mission Avenue to the parking lot just south of the Pier at 4 PM this afternoon-the new time (Spring forward-bla-bla-bla).  My drive took me through the busy part of the downtown revival area-where one must be quite careful not to run over pedestrians with their heads in the clouds-or in a much more remote place below the waistline. 
I miss the old Oceanside beach area.  Don't care much for the new trendy shops and eateries, the theater, the street fairs, etc.
I miss ample parking near the water; I miss the quiet Oceanside beaches; I miss the past.
Boy, I miss having lots of sand on the beaches along the Oceanside shoreline.  Our beaches are so narrow now one has to get used to high-density beachgoing--exactly the opposite of what my mind needs.
I drove through the $2.00 per hour parking lot and changed my mind and left.  I parked up the block for the old $1.00/hour rate.  An act of defiance.
The water was much less ugly than yesterday but still unpleasant.  Dirty. My sinuses are acting up today from the dirty water.  The chop was 1-2 feet with the current running north-same as yesterday.  It was not as cold as yesterday-no face pain upon entering the water.
Not many surfers because the waves were lousy.  I swam out WITH the current-started at the south side and came in on the north side.  It was a moderately rough swim-38 minutes-but nothing like yesterday's misery. 
"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris love reading about your take on the day as well as the quality of the surf and your swim. Big fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous. I finally got a comment from someone who is not a blood relative-as far as I know.

      Delete