Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve Pier Swim Oceanside, CA














The water was freezing today.  Surfline has it as 56-58 but I'd bet $$ on the 56-57.  Face hurt, body froze, hard to get through the surf zone cold.  I was pretty frozen by the time I was done in 32 minutes.  The ocean was extremely choppy: about a two-foot chop all around.  No kidding.  I swallowed some water a few times.  Getting out it was difficult to get past the surf before I was pulled into the pier.  I had my doubts whether I could make it.  There were about a dozen surfers on the south side but crummy shape to the waves.  As I was coming through the surf, one surfer asked me, " Are you frozen?"  I said, " Yeah, I am today; I really am."  He said there was an upwelling of cold water.  The ocean was dirty; I guess with the recent light rains running off into the beaches. 
So, what about my New Year's Day Pier Swim?  I suppose I'll do it alone.  It will be my second annual.  I hope I come in first place.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment