Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A swim at the beach--Oceanside, of course

     "It's always darkest before the dawn," dates back to 1650 and is attributed to English historian Thomas Fuller.

     I am feeling more optimistic that I may be experiencing the beginnings of a new dawn.  I got into the water today...four consecutive days.  'Easy does it' is what I'm thinking when I'm there.  I really felt a noticeable increase in my comfort level, buoyancy, and elementary technique. 

     Today the water was about 65 degrees under a big blue sky.  After stretching on the sand I got in and relaxed in the water.  Visibility about four feet, no rip current like the last few days.  Also no big outside wave to traverse outward.  I think I goofed around inside for a good twenty minutes.  After that I swam out past the surf into a one-foot chop.  It was so nice.  I swam north for a hundred and fifty yards, took a break, and noted the mild current south to north.  I swam back south and started to feel a couple of things: my left low back twinge, my anterior thighs fatigued, and a twinge in my right shoulder.

     I stopped a few times and had to exert myself a bit.  Too early for that, I think.  But at least I got in a short swim outside and held together alright.  I am quite happy with it!



"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment