Sunday, February 6, 2011

Friday, Feb 4th Camp Pendleton

Today after work, we went to the same spot on base. I wanted to touch the bottom as we went out to get used to the feeling as we went out from the beach to the deeper water. I was much more relaxed doing it this way and could report at intervals: about 10 feet deep, about 15 feet deep, about 20 feet deep, maybe twenty-five feet deep, and that's about as far as I tried for the day.
We swam out straight from the beach on our backs with fins because of my neck. The water was smoother than yesterday. Then we kicked across south to the rock jetty, the Del Mar Jetty, or DMJ as surfers call it. I realized that, while not a great surfing break by far, the DMJ is a great surf spot for beginners. There's nobody there, or only a few surfers there, so one can line up for the real waves to learn to surf without the stress of the lineup with the experienced surfers.
I decided that I would try to surf it soon. The wave is a left, and it was 2-4 feet, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment