Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rough Water Swim Pier Tuesday - Chilly















Very few surfers in the water this afternoon.  The water was very sloppy and nothing much in the way of well-formed waves.  The chop was 1 to 2 feet swimming around the pier and interesting.  I jumped in on the north side because yesterday the current was mildly moving south.  Well, my decision was correct; the slight current was heading south.  No sooner did I jump in and take a few strokes when I swallowed a gulp of water and threw up a bit-my Suzy Q snack from earlier in the afternoon. 
The water was cold. Cold. My focus was on being cold and not inhaling/swallowing seawater during this swim.  I just wore trunks and my two swim caps.  My head was warm anyway.  That's a big deal, you know.
The smell of the bait was all over the water off the end of the pier, which always kind of grosses me out.  My swim was 35 minutes and I didn't even want to jog to my car afterward. 
I did see one man in the water with trunks doing a bit of body surfing.  He seemed very comfortable in the water. 
Overall, a good, rough, cold mile swim.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment