Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ocean Swim Oceanside Pier Friday

I wasn't intending to swim Friday after work because I was tired.  But I've heard it said that "You can sleep after you're dead" many times, and I guess that there's some truth to that notion. After work I drove to the beach to check it out and went in.  The sky was mostly sunny; the water was very clean-about ten feet visibility.  Getting in the water was clear, blue, and bubbly with the fresh white water of the waves. 
I guessed wrong on the current; I got in on the north side and swam north to south, but I should have reversed it.  The water is cold now; Fall is here.  I'll hold out in my swim trunks for now, and see how it goes.  My back was hurting all day and I wore my TENS unit at work for the pain, along with some helpful "better living through chemistry" medication-all strictly prescription & legal, of course.  The last few times that I have been in the ocean I have had the feeling that I was in a giant ice pack for cold therapy for an injury.  I think that the immersion in the cold water helps the pain. 
The water was choppy-about a solid one foot of chop-with the chop doubling off the end of the pier.
A couple of dozen surfers were getting good waves on the north side-3-4 feet waves.
I was in slow motion swimming in and my time showed it. 37 minutes 15 seconds.
The clean water and being able to see the bottom was special for this swim Friday. 

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment