Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saturday Oceanside Swim

I got in the water about 5:30 PM yesterday (Saturday) and there were LOTS of folks at the beach.  For us here, it was a big crowd.  Of course I waited until late for most of the people to go home too. 
Smallish waves, 1-3 feet, warm water, clean water in some areas and cloudy in other areas.  I had a goal to swim approximately 2 miles.  Its just about impossible to figure out distance in the water.  I used to go by swim time but now I don't feel that time is accurate for me because I'm slower than I thought.
Then there are currents possibly which have an impact on estimation of time and distance.
I swam for 89 minutes.  I entered at Lifeguard tower #2, about 100 yards north of the pier, and headed out and then north.  I reached the rock jetty at 32 minutes.  Faster than yesterday by 8 minutes.  Little to no current.  Once again, that piece of water about 200 yards off the condo complex North Coast Village and north of it is something else.  Its an exciting piece of water--always.  Yesterday it threw me around and had a washing macine feel to it, but with big chop.  I'm cool with it because I've been there so much--it gets cloudy and silty with bits of kelp too.  That's a piece of water that I'm not sure if I like or dislike--it's odd.  I do get a bit afraid out there at times like yesterday--but not because of the rough water--but because I get to wondering if a sea monster is gonna' take a bite by mistake.
The turnaround swim back toward the pier was choppy, and then got really rough, choppy, and had a current that I had to swim through.  It started to kick my butt a couple of hundred yards north of the pier--I really had to pull to get around the pier. 
So, I got around and swam in to the beach.  I was tired; my arms were tired from pulling, but my back felt good.  My neck hurt--as usual, but it was a good workout swim.  I enjoyed it--lots of variety.
I couldn't find my camera.  Boy, the water is warm nowadays. I think I got 2 miles in, but who knows?  I'm out.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment